Posted: November 3, 2021
Take 10 slow, deep, mindful breaths
Take time to do some light stretching
Get a good night’s sleep (eight to ten hours).
Drink about eight glasses of water a day
Get out and help a family member with yard work
Don’t forget about daily personal hygiene (Brushing teeth, combing hair, washing your face, etc.)
Spend time dancing to some of your favourite songs - like nobody is watching.
Listen/Explore a different type of music with which you are not familiar
Create a piece of art writing your name and using descriptive words describe yourself.
Keep a gratitude journal – write 3 things daily that you are grateful for.
Daydream about something you’d like to do or somewhere you’d like to be.
Get outside to sit, exercise or play in the fresh air and sunlight
Cook (or help cook) a healthy meal for your family
Work on a jigsaw puzzle with a family member
Go for a walk out in the yard with a family member or a pet
Disconnect - Go offline for an hour (or more).
Play a card or board game with a family member.
Make your bed when you get up in the morning.
Relax by listening to some calming music.
Practice Meditation and/or mindfulness
Physical Fitness: We recommend the following resources to help you stay active at home a minimum of 30 minutes a day.
A few Ideas for outdoor Physical Activity (while social distancing and following public health guidelines):
· Play catch or frisbee with a family member.
· Play a game of hopscotch with a family member out in the driveway.
· Play a game of Ladder Ball or Washer Toss.
· You can create your own target game from items found around the house
· Perform a series of balancing stunts:
o Balance on one leg for 30-60 seconds.
o Balance on one leg and close your eyes for 30-60 seconds.
o Balance an object on your head for 30-60 seconds.
o Perform a balance using one hand and one foot for 30-60 seconds.
Physical Activity by the Day:
· Mission Monday: Hold a plank while spelling your full name forwards and backwards.
· Track Tuesday: Practice your sprinting skills. Designate a start and finish line and get someone to time you. How long does it take to cross the finish line? Try 5 times. Can you improve your time?
· Wheelie Wednesday: Skateboard, Bike or Rollerblade in your driveway.
· Target Thursday: Create your own washer toss game using 2 different size buckets or pots. Place the smaller object inside the larger one. Create a start line and use an underhand toss to try to throw a small object into the bucket.
· Family Fun Friday: with your family, play a game of tag or capture the flag.
A few ideas for indoor Physical Activity if you have access to internet:
· PE with Joe: https://www.youtube.com/user/thebodycoach1 New workout videos posted on YouTube each day Monday-Friday for everybody in the family – 30, 15 and 5 minute videos)
· YGym Virtual Physical Activity: https://www.ymcahome.ca/ygym YGym isa free healthy community program for young people and families across Canada! YGym is instructed by YMCA certified fitness instructors and features content based on YMCA Canada's Health & Fitness Programs and Canada's Physical Activity Guidelines.
· GoNoodle: https://family.gonoodle.com GoNoodle engages kids with free movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts. GoNoodle inspires kids to be active and mindful with a wide range of offerings that appeal to kids’ different ages, interests, skills, and abilities.
· The Fitness Marshall: https://bit.ly/3bkkZar Looking to stay active but not interested in “working out”. Look no further than The Fitness Marshall and his upbeat Kid-Friendly Dance Workout - Fun for the whole family.
· Yoga with Adrienne: https://bit.ly/2RJ2R27A library of free yoga videos ranging in length from 10 minutes to 45 minutes. This channel has videos for Beginners as well for those looking to work up a sweat (“Yoga for Weight Loss” or “Total Body Yoga”)
· Darebee:Fitness blueprints, no-equipment visual workouts, fitness programs and challenges, training and running tips, recipes and nutrition advice.
o Choose from 1400+ workouts https://darebee.com/workouts
o Follow a program https://darebee.com/programs
Try a 30-Day Challenge https://darebee.com/challenges
· Fitness Blender: youtube.com/user/FitnessBlender A YouTube channel with videos that range from yoga, warm ups, strength training and HITT routines. 600 free full-length workout videos & counting!
· Just Dance videos posted on YouTube https://bit.ly/36QTvd3 This channel is one of many where Just Dance videos are posted.